Carol Lynn Pearson’s The Ghost of Eternal Polygamy contains many errors and misleading statements. See “Opportunity Lost,” A review of Carol Lynn Pearson’s The Ghost of Eternal Polygamy, by Brian C. Hales
Interviews with Brian and Laura Hales
- LDS Perspectives Podcast Tough Questions about Mormon Polygamy with Dan Peterson May 24, 2017
- Leading LDS
- The Cultural Hall
- Book Launch at Benchmark Books
- 2015 FairMormon Italy Speech
Interviews with Brian C. Hales
With Nick Gallieti
- Dissenters: Portraying the Church As Wrong So They Can Be Right Without It (posted May 5, 2014).
- On GOOD WORD RADIO, Episode 134 (posted May 25, 2013).
Articles by Brian C. Hales
(Articles less than two years since publication are not yet available for download.)
- “Opportunity Lost: A Review of Carol Lynn Pearson, The Ghost of Eternal Polygamy: Haunting the Hearts and Heaven of Women and Men.” Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture 23 (2017): 91-109.
- “The Practice of Polygamy” and “Joseph Smith’s Practice of Plural Marriage,” chapters in A Reason for Faith: Navigating LDS History and Doctrine, ed. Laura Harris Hales, Provo, Utah: Religious Studies Center; Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2016.
- “Dating Joseph Smith’s First Nauvoo Sealings,” Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture 20 (2016): 1-16.
- “John Taylor’s 1886 Revelation,” in The Persistence of Polygamy: Joseph Smith and the Origins of Mormon Polygamy, vol. 3, Independence, Missouri: John Whitmer Books, 2015.
- “A Response to Denver Snuffer’s Essay on Plural Marriage, Adoption, and the Supposed Falling Away of the Church – Part 2: Façade or Reality?” Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture 16 (2015): 31-61.
- “A Response to Denver Snuffer’s Essay on Plural Marriage, Adoption, and the Supposed Falling Away of the Church – Part 1: Ignoring Inconvenient Evidence,” Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture 16 (2015): 1-29.
- “John C. Bennett and Joseph Smith’s Polygamy: Addressing the Question of Reliability, Journal of Mormon History, vol. 41 (April 2015) no. 2, 131–181.
- “Identifying Joseph Smith’s Plural Wives” Journal of Mormon History, vol. 40 (Summer 2014) 155–68.
- “A Response to Grant Palmer’s ‘Sexual Allegations against Joseph Smith and the Beginnings of Polygamy in Nauvoo,’” Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture 12 (2014): 183-236, with Gregory L. Smith.
- “Big Trouble in River City: American Crucifixion and the Defaming of Joseph Smith,” Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture 11 (2014): 177–207, with Craig Foster.
- “LDS Joseph vs. RLDS Joseph: The Battle to Control the Public Memory of Joseph Smith,” with Don Bradley, in Newell G. Bringhurst and Craig L. Foster, eds., The Persistence of Polygamy: Joseph Smith and the Origins of Mormon Polygamy, vol. 2, Independence, Missouri: John Whitmer Books, 2013, 99-151.
- “Joseph Smith’s Plural Wives after the Martyrdom,” Mormon Historical Studies, vol. 13, no. 2. Fall 2012, 255-69.
- “‘A Continuation of the Seeds’: Joseph Smith and Spirit Birth.” Journalof Mormon History 38, no. 4 (Fall 2012): 105–30.
- Review of Andrew H. Hedges, Alex D. Smith, and Richard Lloyd Anderson, eds., Journals, Volume 2: December 1841-April 1843. Vol. 2 of the Journals series of The Joseph Smith Papers. Journal of Mormon History, 38, no. 3 (Summer 2012): 236-53.
- “Joseph Smith’s Personal Polygamy,” Journal of Mormon History, vol. 38 (Spring 2012) no. 2, pp. 163-228.
- “Encouraging Joseph Smith to Practice Plural Marriage:The Accounts of the Angel with a Drawn Sword,” Mormon Historical Studies vol. 11, no. 2, Fall 2010, 23-39.
- “The Latest Word,” Review of “George D. Smith, Nauvoo Polygamy: “… but we called it celestial marriage.” (Salt Lake City: Signature Books, 2008). Dialogue, Winter, 2009, 42 (Winter 2009) 213-35.
- “Fanny Alger and Joseph Smith’s Pre-Nauvoo Reputation,” Journal of Mormon History, 35 (Fall 2009) 4: 112-90.
- “Emma Smith, Eliza R. Snow, and the Reported Incident on the Stairs,” Mormon Historical Studies, vol. 10, no. 2, Fall 2009, 63-75.
- “’Guilty of Such Folly?’: Accusations of Adultery and Polygamy Against Oliver Cowdery,” Mormon Historical Studies vol. 9, no. 2, Fall 2008, 41-57.
- “The Joseph Smith – Sylvia Sessions Plural Sealings: Polyandry or Polygyny,” Mormon Historical Studies vol. 9, no. 1, Spring 2008, 19-28.
- Brian C. Hales, “John T. Clark: The ‘One Mighty and Strong.” Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 39, no. 3 (Fall 2006): 46-63.
- Brian C. Hales review of Debbie Palmer and Dave Perrin, Keep Sweet: Children of Polygamy; Jenny Jessop Larson, Brainwash to Hogwash: Escaping and Exposing Polygamy; and Kathleen Tracy, The Secret Story of Polygamy, Journal of Mormon History, Fall 2006, 236-43.
- “Review,” Janet Bennion, Deseret Patriarchy: Mormon and Mennonite Communities in the Chihuahua Valley, Journal of Mormon History, 31 (Spring 2005) 1: 214-20.
For Joseph Smith’s Polygamy:
- What Mormons Believe: Polygamy
For Mormon Fundamentalist Polygamy: